Thursday, June 17, 2010

WHATSOEVER

My brother Jeff and I were talking on the phone this morning about what it was like growing up in Mount Dora in the 50's. Now, he is probably ten years older than I am, and has a tender heart. I never could tell you how old my brothers were for sure, but I knew my sister was the oldest and she was thirteen years older than me! Then came Jeff; Michael, and Chris. The Ray children grew up in a family with parents that somehow taught us the concept of always giving love! That's why it was so hard for me to conceive of the stories I heard later on of children growing up in families where the Daddy left the home or wouldn't take care of his children....or would even beat the children .Why, to the Ray children, this would have been unimaginable! So, this was what Jeff and I were talking about on the phone today. He asked his grandchildren where they wanted to go over the summer for their vacation.(They live all over the country!)Every single one of them said they wanted to come to "Sweet Potato", which is what Jeff and Pam call their home! They live in a one bedroom home on Lake Dorr, outside of Mount Dora in Umatill.It has a cottage out back, where the grands can come and stay. They live close to some natural springs(Rock;Sanlando & Juniper Springs, to name a few) If you've never been in a cold Florida natural spring, it is the coldest water you will ever step into.....and out of in seconds!It's also naturally delightful! They are twenty eight miles from Daytona Beach; Sea World, and many other attractions, but these kids would rather ski on Jeff's lake; mow with him on his mower; listen to him read and tell stories, and bake with Grandmama Lala.(Pame"lala")
They are learning what I, and my entire family learned. How to be content wherever you are. When Mama and Daddy went to play cards with friends, the Ray kids went along and spent the latter part of the evening sleeping at that house with their kids, until it was time to go home. We laugh about this, because all of us have slept with members of the opposite sex before we were married and didn't even know it!......(lol)
All in all, Jeff said it spoke volumes to him of how our culture have changed, and how so many of the kids today don't have these markers to point them to what is good, and pure and true.
Someday, if we aren't careful, our basic spiritual marker, the Bible may be taken from us too, so we need to be a constant reminder to the next generation to think" of whatsoever things are pure; lovely, and true. For if there be anything of good report, let us think on these things, for as a man thinkketh in his heart, so is he".
Something tells me we are gonna need it!
Becky

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home