Sunday, June 13, 2010

BECKY ON HER BANDWAGON

Don't know if any of you have ever thought about this, or not, but these are some things my grandmother told me many years ago. They were her words of wisdom given to her from her Mother. Actually, they were words from her Mother on how we as young men; women, and children should conduct our speech in a depraved world!(Not my words but hers!) I didn't quite understand all of them then, but looking around today, I surely do now!
Some of the things said are even hard for me to write down, because I don't like to say them, much less to write, but for the sake of those folks who have never heard these things, I will write them.
Many times we get caught up saying phrases and don't have a clue where those phrases come from, or why our Mothers didn't want us to say them. Here are a few that my Grandmother's Mother forbade her from saying and why, and yet we still hear them everyday!

1.) dad gummit!.....This meant God dammit
2.) Jeez..................This was taking the name of Jesus in vain!
3.) Ga....................Same as saying God!
4.) gall durn..........same as saying #1
5.) golly; gosh; gosh durn;......any of these gave a bad reference to God!

If you think of it, you might even come up with some of your own, or some you have heard. Most people will just say them, and not even think about what they meant at one time. At one time though, they were indeed, a direct affront to the Living God, and we have lost that awareness somewhere in our culture today! It even saddened me today, when a man at church walked in and jokingly said "good Lord," to which I replied...."Yes, He is!" The surprised look on his face told me all I needed to know. We have lost our awareness for what these words mean! ~~~~~What a shame!
Anything so close to the name of "God" doesn't need to be spoken casually. He is a reverent and very Holy God, and needs to be treated as such!
Holy! Holy! Holy!....Is the Lord God Almighty! He definitely does not need a reference to being called "golly" or "gosh", that's for sure!
Becky

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home